Friday, October 16, 2015

It's 12:01 and...

What is football, really? I never understood the fascination with watching large guys tackle each other on a field. Football always seemed dull in comparison to hockey or volleyball, and like nothing I ever wanted to spend my free time watching. I thought the rules were complicated and that everyone spent too much time just standing around doing nothing. At least this is what I thought until I went to the game last Saturday.

Last week was Homecoming week, a very exciting time for most of us here at Penn State. I don't have season football tickets because I was sipping pina coladas on a beach in the Dominican Republic when they went on sale, but I decided to get a ticket for the Homecoming game. I did the whole sketchy Facebook meetup deal, and it went well. I was on track to go to my very first football game!

The reason I chose this specific game was so I could do Nittanyville with the Schreyer Student Council. A few of my friends were signed up, so I thought it was the best time to go, and well, it was an experience. Making the half hour walk from Beaver Stadium to Simmons is totally fun and definitely not creepy past 1 in the morning. (10/10 would recommend to a friend.) But seriously, Nittanyville was great. It's fake camping with friends, food, and fun. It's also a fantastic bonding experience when three people are crammed into a single - maybe double, if you're a calm sleeper - person tent trying to keep warm. You grow closer. I now also have a love/ hate relationship with cowbells. Cool for chants, not so cool when it means you have to get out of your semi-warm tent for an announcement or a tent check.
So what did camping out in the cold, sleeping on a tent placed on concrete, get us? FRONT ROW TICKETS! By Friday I was so excited, but something unexpected happened...

Friday afternoon I started to feel sick and by 4:00 I had a 100 degree fever. I went to sleep ASAP because there was no way I was going to miss this game. I paid good money and slept outside! In October! I had the chills, had hot flashes, and had serious doubts about my prospects of getting to the 12:00 kickoff. But come 7:15 Saturday morning, I'm out of bed and getting ready for the game. I felt well enough that if I didn't go I'd be kicking myself for not going. And it was worth it.
My first football game spoiled me. We had seats in the first row right behind the field goal. I knew the players were going to be big, but I didn't quite expect them to be THAT big up close. I got to see the players dancing during warm ups, took a selfie with Keegan Michael Key, got on TV a few times, learned that football really isn't all that complicated, and basically had an amazing time. Singing along to "Sweet Caroline" with the rest of Beaver Stadium was an indescribable moment and I felt like I was truly part of something bigger than myself. I felt tradition and pride and an overwhelming sense of community.
So everyone, don't knock something 'til you've tried it, because football is a thousand times more than I ever gave it credit for. 
Also, it's 12:01 and... MICHIGAN STILL SUCKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment