Friday, September 11, 2015

Under the Cover of Darkness

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to extract two wings - yes, airplane wings - from the Sailplane Laboratory, 3rd floor, Engineering Unit C. There's only one catch: the wings must leave from the window. As always, should you or any of your lab forces be caught, the professor will disavow any knowledge of your actions. Good luck.

***

Icarus, a HPA
At 7 p.m. I walked over to Engineering Unit C to attend a lab that is part of my aerospace (Sailplane) course. It was my first time there, and I had absolutely no idea what to expect. The goal in this class is to build a human powered aircraft, and the task is pretty daunting for a freshman who doesn't know anything yet. I expected to build my small model airplane and leave by 9. However you should always know to expect the unexpected.

Midway through (failed) testing of my model aircraft, I was asked to grab a pair of gloves and come help with something outside. The task seemed impossible. How do you get a 16-foot wing through a window and lowered down to the ground without anyone seeing? Well the answer turns out to be some clamps, rope, and the cover of darkness.

Step 1: Attach clamps to the end of the wing and very firmly secure a decent amount of rope to clamps (boy scout knowledge of knots comes in handy).
Step 2: Split into two teams - the Ground Team and Base Team.
Step 3: Base Team eases wing 1 out of the window, avoiding AC units and windows, as Ground Team keeps the surrounding area clear of people, staying on the lookout for any officials.
Step 4: Ground Team stands by as wing makes its descent.
Step 5: Ground Team grabs wing when it comes into reach and slowly helps it make the final descent.
Step 6: Remove clamps and rope, repeat steps 1-5 for (significantly heavier) wing 2.

***

Congratulations on completing the first part of your mission. You have successfully extracted the two unwanted objects. Your new task: transport them discretely to the basement of the secret location.

***

After getting the wings safely to the ground, we had to move them. We considered storing them between a wall and a few dense bushes, but the relocation had to be completed eventually. It's well past 10 p.m. as I, along with five other people, pick up a wing and start walking. If there was a teamwork competition in moving very large fiberglass objects, we would win. We dodged obstacles, reversed directions, and successfully maneuvered the wing into a very tight corridor. At almost 11 p.m., dust all over our clothes and scrapes on our hands, we place the 2nd wing down and shake hands.

This is a Thursday night I'll remember.

***

Your next mission, should you choose to accept it, is to stop AstroSquirrel Corp. from obtaining codes to very dangerous missiles. You can select up to two members to be a part of your team. As always, should you or any of your forces be caught, the Secretary will disavow all knowledge of your actions. This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds.


5 comments:

  1. Wow, what an interesting class! I thoroughly enjoyed reading through your adventure, as I did not even know that our school has an aerospace course! Is the course relative to your major, or more of a hobby? Airplane design would be a pretty cool career if that is your long-term plan...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This class seemed very interesting. Is this blog going to be all about this particular class?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it'll be more about exciting things that have happened (or I want to happen) in my life. Adventures.

      Delete
  3. It is always interesting to learn from those who have different major. When I asked you about your major, I had no idea what your major is although you told me that your major is "Aerospace engineering" But after reading your post, I got the idea about What Aerospace is. Whenever I meet people who have Aerospace major, I will talk about your posing! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First things first, you are an amazing story teller!
    Your blog topic is so simple, yet so amazing! I'm really so excited to read more of your life adventures.
    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete